We typically use a three stage approach to begin our customized work with individual clients:
• Interview key stakeholders about their philanthropic experiences and goals.
• Review important legal and policy documents.
• Learn from other funders and experts participating in the funder’s program areas to ascertain areas for strategic engagement.
• Compile the information gathered for the funder.
• Look for areas of agreement for moving forward as well as areas of general disagreement that deserve to be left behind or addressed in order to move forward.
• Recommend options for how to move forward and collect feedback on how those options might be further customized and adopted.
• Recommend updates and revisions to bylaws and policies to effectuate an adopted plan.
• Generate policies as necessary to develop a philanthropic culture and agreed upon set of rules for all stakeholders.
• Generate operation plans, inclusive of grantmaking calendars, to bring order and routine to the grantmaking experience.